A twenty-something's journey with braces

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The last step (pics!)

Yesterday was the last step in my preparations for Brace Day (tomorrow! yikes!) - I had a dentist appointment for cleaning and a possible filling.

As it turns out, I didn't need any new fillings. *whew!* We discussed replacing my old amalgams with the new white composite, but my dentist said wait until the braces come off and I was okay with that.

I got an "A" for my cleaning; both my dentist and hygenist were impressed with how clean my teeth are and my healthy gums. For that I mainly credit my beloved Oral-B electric toothbrush. Though I did get to say with complete honesty that I'd been flossing every day, too. Guess it showed. *g* She still had to do some scraping, but that's the nature of my crowding (and why I'm getting braces in the first place).

I also asked for and got a pre-emptive flouride treatment. This was a foam the hygenist "brushed on" for one minute, and then suctioned away. It was interesting...not as gag-worthy as the trays, though.

A fun bonus was that I had some downtime in between chair appointments, and I popped down the hall to my orthos office and they let me play with my OrthoCAD plan. Very interesting, and inspiring to see the finished results!

I took pics and video. (With my phone, sorry 'bout the quality.)

ETA: The videos aren't working for some reason. They were hard to see anyway. If I figure them out, I'll put them back up, but for now, here are the pics at least.

Here's the computer model made from my impressions:



I got to see what my teeth will look like with the brackets on (not including turbos):




And specifically the very crowded lower arch from the front:



And top:



Here's a side-by-side comparison of the expected results (left) to my teeth with brackets (right):


And one of just my current teeth (left) to my projected finished results (right):

Last but not least, a close up of the finished results. This is what I have to look forward to!


1 comment:

Deniz Bevan said...

Good luck with the braces!